Skip to main content

Fiberglassing the Grain Surfboards Waterlog, Part 5

The fiberglassing has begun! 

It's always a thrill to see the rich colors emerge when the epoxy hits the glass. 

 

I started by running blue tape along the seam of the bottom panel. I propped up the edges with bits of shavings. 

 
 
  
 
Having the edges of the tape hang down instead of adhering to the board allows excess epoxy to run off and not accumulate on the other side. Once turned over, as in the picture below, you can see how the tape allows for drips to fall off. 
 
 
 
Here is the fiberglass laid out and trimmed. I added slits to the nose and tail where the cloth would have a hard time conforming to the curves. 
 
 
And here's how it looks after the "Lam coat" (Lamination coat). I started at the nose and spread epoxy over the first third of the board with my spreader. I then worked it out to the edges on both sides, and then over and under the rails. 
 
Then I went back and squeegeed off as much epoxy as I could without starving the glass of epoxy. There are no white spots on the board. 
 
 
 
 
 
The tail turned out better than I had expected. I think the simple treatment worked better than several different colors mixed together. This looks classy. 




Here's how it looks a couple hours later after the "Hot coat" (the second coat that tries to fill the weave). It went on easily enough but there are some bubbles and dust bits and other crap that inevitably lands on the new epoxy. 

Oh well, this layer is meant to be sanded so it's all okay. 






 Later tonight I will drill the hole for the vent (which I already drilled earlier but need to redrill), cut the tape and excess glass off, and let it cure overnight. 

Tomorrow I might install the vent plug and the leash connection.  That would give the deck one more full day to cure before I flip it over to glass the bottom. That would mean less chance of creating indents in the deck. 

 

Aloha! 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rogue Manual

I've posted about this earlier, but thought it might be good to post it again for anyone who may be interested. I've started to write a manual of tips and tricks for Pygmy solo kayak builders. It covers the taping method, so that your boat doesn't have hundreds of holes all over it. I'm on version 2 now. Version 2 covers several other tips and tricks from myself and from others as collected over time. ATTENTION : Use the manual at your own risk! The only person responsible for any mistakes or problems with the building of your boat is you. Always use the official Pygmy manual that came with your kit. Only do those tips and tricks that make sense to you. If something in the manual doesn't sound right to you, then don't do it! Neither I, nor Pygmy Boats, nor anyone else except YOU is responsible for the safety of your boat and the quality of your build. It's in very rough draft form right now, but if you'd like to read it, please send a $10 donat...

The Pygmy Pinguino 145 Kayak is Completed!

Ta Da! I finally finished it. Haven't been able to blog much about it, but here's how it looks... It has four coats of varnish on both the hull and deck. It probably should have had six or more, but I'm tired. I made my own padeyes, and I opted to not install a perimeter line yet. My friend who I built this for is a very casual user and this is probably sufficient for her, but perimeter lines would be a nice safety feature though. That's it! Until next time, I'm signing out for now.... Cheers!

Grain Surfboards Waterlog Surfboard Build! Part 1

I'm making a surfboard!  No, I don't actually surf. At least not yet. But we go to Hawaii a lot and a guy has to have a board, right? I didn't kayak either until I built my first Pygmy Coho over 25 years ago. Now I love kayaking. Hopefully the same thing will happen with the surfboard.  The board is a kit from Grain Surfboards . I chose the Waterlog in the 10' version.  I'm super tall and heavy and probably should have selected one of their larger boards, but this is the largest board they have that both Alaska Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines will let my check (They have a 10' 5" limit).  I didn't get any pics of the kit box, but it's just a long (10' plus) cardboard mashup box with sticks in it. The epoxy kit comes separately.  I also bought the "rocker table" that is CNC cut to precisely curve the board as you build it. I highly recommend buying a rocker table if you build one.        The kit comes with white cedar planks that you g...