Skip to main content

Grain Surfboards Waterlog, Part 3 - Deck Installed

The deck of my Grain Surfboards Waterlog surfboard was installed today. 

Here is how the bottom and frames looked right before installation. 

 

Here is another closeup of how I dealt with the ends of the lands. Not really by-the-book, but I think it worked out well. 

I am not using the glue that Grain sent me as I have a lot of WEST System epoxy sitting around. Plus, epoxy has a very long setup time so I could take all time I needed. 

I started by using a roller and a very thin nap designed for epoxy, and rolled on unthickened epoxy everywhere the two surfaces would meet: All around the perimeter of the deck and board, and over the frames, and under the deck where the frames would meet. Everything that would touch got a thin coat of epoxy to wet it out. 

Then I used thickened epoxy on the perimeter and the tops of the frames on the board (not on the deck). Then the deck was set on top of the board and centered very carefully. I started clamping at the back and worked forward. 

This is how it looks now. 




 

Tomorrow I'll see how it looks and start trimming the deck. Shaping is the bit that I'm most worried about but I'm sure it'll be okay. 

 

Aloha!

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rogue Manual

I've posted about this earlier, but thought it might be good to post it again for anyone who may be interested. I've started to write a manual of tips and tricks for Pygmy solo kayak builders. It covers the taping method, so that your boat doesn't have hundreds of holes all over it. I'm on version 2 now. Version 2 covers several other tips and tricks from myself and from others as collected over time. ATTENTION : Use the manual at your own risk! The only person responsible for any mistakes or problems with the building of your boat is you. Always use the official Pygmy manual that came with your kit. Only do those tips and tricks that make sense to you. If something in the manual doesn't sound right to you, then don't do it! Neither I, nor Pygmy Boats, nor anyone else except YOU is responsible for the safety of your boat and the quality of your build. It's in very rough draft form right now, but if you'd like to read it, please send a $10 donat...

Fin Box Installed, Board Sanded, and Bottom Gloss Coat - Part 7

The Grain Surfboards Waterlog surfboard has now had the fin box installed, the entire board has been sanded, and the bottom has received its gloss coat. Lots of progress since my last post.  I bought a Fins Unlimited Performance fin. No idea if that was a good idea or not, but it looks cool.     In my last post I had installed the vent plug and the leash cup. Since then I routed out the trench for the fin box and installed it. It went easier than I expected but I was nervous routing the trench.  Before installing the blocking for the fin box a few weeks ago, I drilled two marker holes for where the fin box would go so that I could easily see where to install it when I finally got to this point. I felt better about doing this than using measurements from the tail that might change somewhat during shaping. See the pictures below and you can make out the two holes fore and aft of the box layout.   I taped off the area and then carefully measured out fro...

The Pygmy Pinguino 145 Kayak is Completed!

Ta Da! I finally finished it. Haven't been able to blog much about it, but here's how it looks... It has four coats of varnish on both the hull and deck. It probably should have had six or more, but I'm tired. I made my own padeyes, and I opted to not install a perimeter line yet. My friend who I built this for is a very casual user and this is probably sufficient for her, but perimeter lines would be a nice safety feature though. That's it! Until next time, I'm signing out for now.... Cheers!