Skip to main content

Deck epoxied onto the Borealis XL

Tonight I finally glued the deck onto my Pygmy Borealis XL kayak.

Started by adding a second layer of epoxy where my feet will go. This is a really nice trick from the Pygmy manual. The rough weave of the cloth doesn't seem like it should be that big of a deal on your heels, but after being in the boat for a while it really starts to hurt. So adding a layer or two to fill the weave just in the foot area works really well.

Just lay down some masking tape and then roll on the epoxy. I actually did two fill coats as the first one wasn't enough. I also put blue tape around the foot brace studs so that when I run the fiberglass tape and epoxy down the hull/deck joint later on I won't get epoxy on the threads.

Pygmy kayak building tips.

Taping the deck on is no different than any of the other taping steps we've done, and when it's cured we will have a complete boat with ZERO tiny drill holes! And we will have saved ourselves a lot of pain and blood from that horrid wire.

I put the deck back on and spent about an hour carefully taping it down. You may have to use a lot of pins to hold portions of the deck or hull in or out to align the two together. Then you'll also need to run a lot of tape to keep it aligned.

Pygmy kayak building tips.




You can see from the pictures that I used a LOT of tape. Most of one roll. I just hope that they all hold long enough for the epoxy to cure!


Fingers crossed!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rogue Manual

I've posted about this earlier, but thought it might be good to post it again for anyone who may be interested. I've started to write a manual of tips and tricks for Pygmy solo kayak builders. It covers the taping method, so that your boat doesn't have hundreds of holes all over it. I'm on version 2 now. Version 2 covers several other tips and tricks from myself and from others as collected over time. ATTENTION : Use the manual at your own risk! The only person responsible for any mistakes or problems with the building of your boat is you. Always use the official Pygmy manual that came with your kit. Only do those tips and tricks that make sense to you. If something in the manual doesn't sound right to you, then don't do it! Neither I, nor Pygmy Boats, nor anyone else except YOU is responsible for the safety of your boat and the quality of your build. It's in very rough draft form right now, but if you'd like to read it, please send a $10 donat...

The Pygmy Pinguino 145 Kayak is Completed!

Ta Da! I finally finished it. Haven't been able to blog much about it, but here's how it looks... It has four coats of varnish on both the hull and deck. It probably should have had six or more, but I'm tired. I made my own padeyes, and I opted to not install a perimeter line yet. My friend who I built this for is a very casual user and this is probably sufficient for her, but perimeter lines would be a nice safety feature though. That's it! Until next time, I'm signing out for now.... Cheers!

Waterlog Surfboard Build, Part 2

 Since my last post I've made a lot of progress.   I've completed the rails and the landing strips.  Here is the chine log being epoxied in. By the way, I'm using epoxy for much of this. I ended up using Titebond III for most of the rails because they didn't have a lot of force on them and I could get them clamped down quickly (Titebond III sets quickly). But for anything that has any stress on it, I'm using WEST System epoxy that I have left over.   The nose strips had to be steamed. Read the manual for how to do this. It works well enough.  For the landing strips (the 'lands'), I'm doing the "alternative" method that is shown in one of Grain's tutorial videos . I'm running the outside one out the ends. It worked out well and I'd definitely recommend you do it instead of the convoluted approach they say in their manual.  I would expect that at some point in the future that they make this the primary way to do it and change their m...