Skip to main content

Back to Work on the Pygmy Borealis XL Kayak

Took a week off of building due to out of town guests. Had fun but now I get to have another kind of fun getting back to my Pygmy Borealis build.

I'm doing a few steps out of order from what is given in the manual.

After I glass the deck I then sand the entire boat. Then I do the coaming. This makes it easier to flatten out the deck under the upper coaming.




Tonight I trimmed the two lower coaming pieces and coated the inside and outside edges with epoxy. The edges are edge-grain wood and soak up a lot of epoxy. The manual suggests two coats but I am going to do one. Then I will mount the lower coamings onto the boat. At that point I can then run a nice fillet around the lower coaming and the deck. When that small fillet is dry I will sand it and then run a second coat of epoxy around the outside edges and onto the fillet. This will make a very nice feeling and looking edge when completed.

I won't add another coat of epoxy on the inside edge as I am going to be rounding over the inside edge with my router after the upper coaming is epoxied down.






Aloha!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rogue Manual

I've posted about this earlier, but thought it might be good to post it again for anyone who may be interested. I've started to write a manual of tips and tricks for Pygmy solo kayak builders. It covers the taping method, so that your boat doesn't have hundreds of holes all over it. I'm on version 2 now. Version 2 covers several other tips and tricks from myself and from others as collected over time. ATTENTION : Use the manual at your own risk! The only person responsible for any mistakes or problems with the building of your boat is you. Always use the official Pygmy manual that came with your kit. Only do those tips and tricks that make sense to you. If something in the manual doesn't sound right to you, then don't do it! Neither I, nor Pygmy Boats, nor anyone else except YOU is responsible for the safety of your boat and the quality of your build. It's in very rough draft form right now, but if you'd like to read it, please send a $10 donat...

The Pygmy Pinguino 145 Kayak is Completed!

Ta Da! I finally finished it. Haven't been able to blog much about it, but here's how it looks... It has four coats of varnish on both the hull and deck. It probably should have had six or more, but I'm tired. I made my own padeyes, and I opted to not install a perimeter line yet. My friend who I built this for is a very casual user and this is probably sufficient for her, but perimeter lines would be a nice safety feature though. That's it! Until next time, I'm signing out for now.... Cheers!

Grain Surfboards Waterlog Surfboard Build! Part 1

I'm making a surfboard!  No, I don't actually surf. At least not yet. But we go to Hawaii a lot and a guy has to have a board, right? I didn't kayak either until I built my first Pygmy Coho over 25 years ago. Now I love kayaking. Hopefully the same thing will happen with the surfboard.  The board is a kit from Grain Surfboards . I chose the Waterlog in the 10' version.  I'm super tall and heavy and probably should have selected one of their larger boards, but this is the largest board they have that both Alaska Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines will let my check (They have a 10' 5" limit).  I didn't get any pics of the kit box, but it's just a long (10' plus) cardboard mashup box with sticks in it. The epoxy kit comes separately.  I also bought the "rocker table" that is CNC cut to precisely curve the board as you build it. I highly recommend buying a rocker table if you build one.        The kit comes with white cedar planks that you g...