Skip to main content

Construction Table for the Pinguino 145

Today I built the table for the new Pygmy Pinguino 145 that I'm building for a family friend.

It's just two sawhorses with short pieces between the legs. On top of that are two 2" x 6" x 8' studs that I selected for being especially flat on edge. If I had a jointer I'd run them both through it to make sure the edges are flat... but I don't have a jointer.





Then I laid a 2' x 8' x 3/4" sheet of MDF on top of the studs and screwed them down. I got lucky because to my eye the table appears to be pretty flat which the one thing you must have. It doesn't matter too much if it's not level, but it must be flat across the entire surface.

Then I opened the main box and sorted out the panels. The manual says to start gluing the panels together starting with panel 1 and working to panel 6. It also says to do one side at a time. However, that isn't helpful with the steps that come later and you'll end up moving the panels around too much. So I'm gluing them in reverse order and both sides at the same time. For example; I'm gluing up both the left and right #6 panels and setting them aside. Then I'll do both #5's, then #4's and so on. When I'm done I'll have the two completed #1 panels on top of my stack ready to go with minimal moving of them.

These two #6 panels are just laid out but not glued yet. I'll start gluing later this week. 




NOT IN THE MANUAL STUFF: Since I also have to park my table-saw to the side of the garage, I went ahead and cut my spacer pieces that will be used later on. You will need three spacer pieces if you're going to build your boat upside-down WITHOUT using the wires to sew the panels together. I'll be taping this boat instead. There will be NO HOLES in this boat! But the manual still has you sewing the boat together with wires and a billion holes. This will look much better.

IF you're going to build your boat with the taping method instead of wires, then you'll need to contact Pygmy and ask them to send you their "Class Manual" that has the measurements for the three space pieces for the model boat you're building. You'll also need to read online, or on this blog and other blogs, about how to tape a boat instead of sew it. The big change is that you will build the boat upside down similarly to how many other boat are built. If you follow the manual you will build it upright. 

More later once I get to gluing the panels together!


Cheers!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rogue Manual

I've posted about this earlier, but thought it might be good to post it again for anyone who may be interested. I've started to write a manual of tips and tricks for Pygmy solo kayak builders. It covers the taping method, so that your boat doesn't have hundreds of holes all over it. I'm on version 2 now. Version 2 covers several other tips and tricks from myself and from others as collected over time. ATTENTION : Use the manual at your own risk! The only person responsible for any mistakes or problems with the building of your boat is you. Always use the official Pygmy manual that came with your kit. Only do those tips and tricks that make sense to you. If something in the manual doesn't sound right to you, then don't do it! Neither I, nor Pygmy Boats, nor anyone else except YOU is responsible for the safety of your boat and the quality of your build. It's in very rough draft form right now, but if you'd like to read it, please send a $10 donat...

The Pygmy Pinguino 145 Kayak is Completed!

Ta Da! I finally finished it. Haven't been able to blog much about it, but here's how it looks... It has four coats of varnish on both the hull and deck. It probably should have had six or more, but I'm tired. I made my own padeyes, and I opted to not install a perimeter line yet. My friend who I built this for is a very casual user and this is probably sufficient for her, but perimeter lines would be a nice safety feature though. That's it! Until next time, I'm signing out for now.... Cheers!

Grain Surfboards Waterlog Surfboard Build! Part 1

I'm making a surfboard!  No, I don't actually surf. At least not yet. But we go to Hawaii a lot and a guy has to have a board, right? I didn't kayak either until I built my first Pygmy Coho over 25 years ago. Now I love kayaking. Hopefully the same thing will happen with the surfboard.  The board is a kit from Grain Surfboards . I chose the Waterlog in the 10' version.  I'm super tall and heavy and probably should have selected one of their larger boards, but this is the largest board they have that both Alaska Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines will let my check (They have a 10' 5" limit).  I didn't get any pics of the kit box, but it's just a long (10' plus) cardboard mashup box with sticks in it. The epoxy kit comes separately.  I also bought the "rocker table" that is CNC cut to precisely curve the board as you build it. I highly recommend buying a rocker table if you build one.        The kit comes with white cedar planks that you g...