Skip to main content

Second Epoxy Coat on Inside of Annapolis Wherry Hull

Today I sanded out the entire inside of the hull again, and epoxy-coated the entire inside, again. Phew. 

Here's how it looked at the end of the day.


 

First I used a cabinet scraper to cut down the really big fuzz that is created when you epoxy bare wood. I used it on the entire hull because it's a great tool for finding raised epoxy bits too.

Then power-sanded where my 6" sander could reach. I hand-sanded the rest using a foam block with 80-grit sticky sand paper backing. I buy the rolls of sandpaper. The sticky back works really well. 

Then I used the cabinet scraper again to cut off the tall scratches that the 80-grit paper leaves. This gave a nice surface for the epoxy. 

Here's a close-up of how it looked after sanding.


Then I epoxy coated the entire inside again. 

I mixed up about 10 pumps of epoxy and poured it along the keel in the second section (I'm not epoxy coating the fiberglass again in the bow and stern... will leave the weave rough in those areas). 

Using a spreader, I brought the epoxy up to the edges on one side and then back down and up the other side. 

Once fully covered, I then used a roller to even out the coat in that entire section. When the roller got too loaded I used it on the bulkheads and on the top three planks in the bow section. 

Next I used a foam brush to coat the fillets and to squish out the excess in the seams.

Then the roller again to even out what the brush squished out. If really needed, I used the scraper to bring up some excess if there was just too much and scraped it into a cup. 

Checked for runs and drips and goofs as best I could. 

Finally, when happy enough with the coat, I used my propane blow torch and waved it over the surface to pop bubbles and to help it flow. Be sure to keep it moving!!

Then on to the next section. 

The sanding took twice as long as the epoxy coating. Ugh...

Here's how it looks.



After an hour or so, you can really see the epoxy tighten up. It looks much smoother than the first coat. 

When cured, I will sand it again with using 120, then 220, then 320 so that it's ready for varnish in a month or so. 


Stay tuned!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rogue Manual

I've posted about this earlier, but thought it might be good to post it again for anyone who may be interested. I've started to write a manual of tips and tricks for Pygmy solo kayak builders. It covers the taping method, so that your boat doesn't have hundreds of holes all over it. I'm on version 2 now. Version 2 covers several other tips and tricks from myself and from others as collected over time. ATTENTION : Use the manual at your own risk! The only person responsible for any mistakes or problems with the building of your boat is you. Always use the official Pygmy manual that came with your kit. Only do those tips and tricks that make sense to you. If something in the manual doesn't sound right to you, then don't do it! Neither I, nor Pygmy Boats, nor anyone else except YOU is responsible for the safety of your boat and the quality of your build. It's in very rough draft form right now, but if you'd like to read it, please send a $10 donat...

Fin Box Installed, Board Sanded, and Bottom Gloss Coat - Part 7

The Grain Surfboards Waterlog surfboard has now had the fin box installed, the entire board has been sanded, and the bottom has received its gloss coat. Lots of progress since my last post.  I bought a Fins Unlimited Performance fin. No idea if that was a good idea or not, but it looks cool.     In my last post I had installed the vent plug and the leash cup. Since then I routed out the trench for the fin box and installed it. It went easier than I expected but I was nervous routing the trench.  Before installing the blocking for the fin box a few weeks ago, I drilled two marker holes for where the fin box would go so that I could easily see where to install it when I finally got to this point. I felt better about doing this than using measurements from the tail that might change somewhat during shaping. See the pictures below and you can make out the two holes fore and aft of the box layout.   I taped off the area and then carefully measured out fro...

The Pygmy Pinguino 145 Kayak is Completed!

Ta Da! I finally finished it. Haven't been able to blog much about it, but here's how it looks... It has four coats of varnish on both the hull and deck. It probably should have had six or more, but I'm tired. I made my own padeyes, and I opted to not install a perimeter line yet. My friend who I built this for is a very casual user and this is probably sufficient for her, but perimeter lines would be a nice safety feature though. That's it! Until next time, I'm signing out for now.... Cheers!