Skip to main content

Second Epoxy Coat on Inside of Annapolis Wherry Hull

Today I sanded out the entire inside of the hull again, and epoxy-coated the entire inside, again. Phew. 

Here's how it looked at the end of the day.


 

First I used a cabinet scraper to cut down the really big fuzz that is created when you epoxy bare wood. I used it on the entire hull because it's a great tool for finding raised epoxy bits too.

Then power-sanded where my 6" sander could reach. I hand-sanded the rest using a foam block with 80-grit sticky sand paper backing. I buy the rolls of sandpaper. The sticky back works really well. 

Then I used the cabinet scraper again to cut off the tall scratches that the 80-grit paper leaves. This gave a nice surface for the epoxy. 

Here's a close-up of how it looked after sanding.


Then I epoxy coated the entire inside again. 

I mixed up about 10 pumps of epoxy and poured it along the keel in the second section (I'm not epoxy coating the fiberglass again in the bow and stern... will leave the weave rough in those areas). 

Using a spreader, I brought the epoxy up to the edges on one side and then back down and up the other side. 

Once fully covered, I then used a roller to even out the coat in that entire section. When the roller got too loaded I used it on the bulkheads and on the top three planks in the bow section. 

Next I used a foam brush to coat the fillets and to squish out the excess in the seams.

Then the roller again to even out what the brush squished out. If really needed, I used the scraper to bring up some excess if there was just too much and scraped it into a cup. 

Checked for runs and drips and goofs as best I could. 

Finally, when happy enough with the coat, I used my propane blow torch and waved it over the surface to pop bubbles and to help it flow. Be sure to keep it moving!!

Then on to the next section. 

The sanding took twice as long as the epoxy coating. Ugh...

Here's how it looks.



After an hour or so, you can really see the epoxy tighten up. It looks much smoother than the first coat. 

When cured, I will sand it again with using 120, then 220, then 320 so that it's ready for varnish in a month or so. 


Stay tuned!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rogue Manual

I've posted about this earlier, but thought it might be good to post it again for anyone who may be interested. I've started to write a manual of tips and tricks for Pygmy solo kayak builders. It covers the taping method, so that your boat doesn't have hundreds of holes all over it. I'm on version 2 now. Version 2 covers several other tips and tricks from myself and from others as collected over time. ATTENTION : Use the manual at your own risk! The only person responsible for any mistakes or problems with the building of your boat is you. Always use the official Pygmy manual that came with your kit. Only do those tips and tricks that make sense to you. If something in the manual doesn't sound right to you, then don't do it! Neither I, nor Pygmy Boats, nor anyone else except YOU is responsible for the safety of your boat and the quality of your build. It's in very rough draft form right now, but if you'd like to read it, please send a $10 donat

Pinguino End Pours and Other Jobs

I've spent the past day and today doing a number of jobs that just need to be done but aren't that noticeable. First, I added a saturation coat to the bare wood on the #4 panels above where I cut the fiberglass the other day. I also added a layer of epoxy over the area where heels may rest. Today I scraped the sides and heel area and added another coat of epoxy.Here's how it looks now. It's technically a third coat, but really only two as much of the first two have been either scraped or sanded. I may add a third layer once this is cured. I also worked on the end pours. The Pygmy manual says to do the end pours later on after the boat is complete. It says to take the boat outside and prop it up on a wall with the end in a bucket of ice water. Then you contort yourself and pour thickened epoxy down into the end and let it cure. Then you do the other end. THEN... you have to guess where you can drill holes through the ends for your painters (the lines that you t

Next Build: A Pinguino 145

Well here we go on another Pygmy solo kayak build. This time a Pinguino 145 . It's one of Pygmy's most popular boats. It's stable, light, capable of sea touring, and only 14.5'. Here's another nice article about the Pinguino . The picture below is from the Pygmy website   ( Pygmy Boats owns the copyright to this image and I make no claim to the image. It's here under fair use policy but will be happily removed if Pygmy requests it to be removed) . A friend of ours has wanted me to build one for her for some time and I finally think I can start to work on it. It should be a great boat for her. She's an active woman in her early 70's. The massive stability of the Pinguino, the larger cockpit, the relatively low weight, and being only 14.5' should work well for her. I'll blog about it here, but I'll also be adding some better pictures to the " Rogue Manual " on how to build one without wires. This boat will NOT have any w