Skip to main content

Annapolis Wherry Hull Stitched Together

I'm making very good progress. I brought home the Chesapeake Light Craft Annapolis Wherry one week ago, and yesterday was able to wire the hull together. 

 

CLC does a very nice job in designing their panels. They use a puzzle joint that very accurately aligns the panels into the full-length planks. 

After gluing up the final planks and storing them under my table, I adjusted the table to get ready to wire the hull. 

The planks will need to be suspended between two sawhorses normally, but I'm very tall and bending over that much kills my back, so I simply removed one of the MDF boards that formed my table and shifted the other one to the middle. Then I screwed two 4' 2 x 6's to the ends of that MDF panel. That way, by using the factory edges, the 2 x 6's are aligned to each other. See the pictures below. 


I store my completed planks and rails under the sawhorses until needed. That way they are mostly out of the way and stay flat.


After making sure that the 2 x 6s were level to each other, I started to wire the hull. 

Here are the two #1 planks suspended between the boards. The hull will start to form a rocker as it's wired so you can't build it on a table. Also wires will be too hard to twist if on a table. You really must suspend the planks. Yes, they are very floppy at this point, but be gentle and they will be fine.

About three hours later, the ten planks were all wired together and ready to be brought up into a finished hull form. This is how they look when wired together. They do start to round up. I was able to get them wired solo, but it would be easier if you have a helper while adding the first wires on planks #4 and #5.


I started with the bow, then added the transom, and finally the bulkheads. Your fingers will be very sore by the time you're done!

The bulkheads are a bear to install, but if you tighten the wires enough you can get the bulkheads to settle down nicely.


You'll notice in the picture below that I've trimmed the two middle bulkheads at the tops to accommodate the future spacered inwales.


Tomorrow I'll roll the hull over, tighten all the wires, and the epoxy all the planks together!

Stay tuned!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rogue Manual

I've posted about this earlier, but thought it might be good to post it again for anyone who may be interested. I've started to write a manual of tips and tricks for Pygmy solo kayak builders. It covers the taping method, so that your boat doesn't have hundreds of holes all over it. I'm on version 2 now. Version 2 covers several other tips and tricks from myself and from others as collected over time. ATTENTION : Use the manual at your own risk! The only person responsible for any mistakes or problems with the building of your boat is you. Always use the official Pygmy manual that came with your kit. Only do those tips and tricks that make sense to you. If something in the manual doesn't sound right to you, then don't do it! Neither I, nor Pygmy Boats, nor anyone else except YOU is responsible for the safety of your boat and the quality of your build. It's in very rough draft form right now, but if you'd like to read it, please send a $10 donat...

The Pygmy Pinguino 145 Kayak is Completed!

Ta Da! I finally finished it. Haven't been able to blog much about it, but here's how it looks... It has four coats of varnish on both the hull and deck. It probably should have had six or more, but I'm tired. I made my own padeyes, and I opted to not install a perimeter line yet. My friend who I built this for is a very casual user and this is probably sufficient for her, but perimeter lines would be a nice safety feature though. That's it! Until next time, I'm signing out for now.... Cheers!

Fin Box Installed, Board Sanded, and Bottom Gloss Coat - Part 7

The Grain Surfboards Waterlog surfboard has now had the fin box installed, the entire board has been sanded, and the bottom has received its gloss coat. Lots of progress since my last post.  I bought a Fins Unlimited Performance fin. No idea if that was a good idea or not, but it looks cool.     In my last post I had installed the vent plug and the leash cup. Since then I routed out the trench for the fin box and installed it. It went easier than I expected but I was nervous routing the trench.  Before installing the blocking for the fin box a few weeks ago, I drilled two marker holes for where the fin box would go so that I could easily see where to install it when I finally got to this point. I felt better about doing this than using measurements from the tail that might change somewhat during shaping. See the pictures below and you can make out the two holes fore and aft of the box layout.   I taped off the area and then carefully measured out fro...