Skip to main content

The Pygmy Borealis XL Kayak Maiden Paddle!

Ta da!!!!

It's finished!

Took a short but very successful maiden paddle today! I love the Pygmy Borealis XL kayak! It is SO stable compared to the Coho and Coho Hi Volume boats that I've made before. This is the perfect kayak for someone my size. It will be wonderful!

Pygmy Borealis XL kayak

I was out for less than 20 minutes before I had to return for an appointment, but will take it on a proper test paddle this weekend up in Port Townsend. Can't wait!!


Aloha!


Comments

  1. Congratulations! I have been following along for a couple of months now as I am thinking of building the same kayak - I test paddled one in PT a few weeks ago and really loved it. It looks gorgeous! -- Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eric! I'm really looking forward to how it goes this weekend, and also next summer on our yearly week of paddling somewhere in the San Juan's or on Vancouver Island. Good luck if you decide to build one. Let me know and I can send you my supplementary manual with some of the alternate techniques. Most of them are in this blog though.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Rogue Manual

I've posted about this earlier, but thought it might be good to post it again for anyone who may be interested. I've started to write a manual of tips and tricks for Pygmy solo kayak builders. It covers the taping method, so that your boat doesn't have hundreds of holes all over it. I'm on version 2 now. Version 2 covers several other tips and tricks from myself and from others as collected over time. ATTENTION : Use the manual at your own risk! The only person responsible for any mistakes or problems with the building of your boat is you. Always use the official Pygmy manual that came with your kit. Only do those tips and tricks that make sense to you. If something in the manual doesn't sound right to you, then don't do it! Neither I, nor Pygmy Boats, nor anyone else except YOU is responsible for the safety of your boat and the quality of your build. It's in very rough draft form right now, but if you'd like to read it, please send a $10 donat...

The Pygmy Pinguino 145 Kayak is Completed!

Ta Da! I finally finished it. Haven't been able to blog much about it, but here's how it looks... It has four coats of varnish on both the hull and deck. It probably should have had six or more, but I'm tired. I made my own padeyes, and I opted to not install a perimeter line yet. My friend who I built this for is a very casual user and this is probably sufficient for her, but perimeter lines would be a nice safety feature though. That's it! Until next time, I'm signing out for now.... Cheers!

Grain Surfboards Waterlog Surfboard Build! Part 1

I'm making a surfboard!  No, I don't actually surf. At least not yet. But we go to Hawaii a lot and a guy has to have a board, right? I didn't kayak either until I built my first Pygmy Coho over 25 years ago. Now I love kayaking. Hopefully the same thing will happen with the surfboard.  The board is a kit from Grain Surfboards . I chose the Waterlog in the 10' version.  I'm super tall and heavy and probably should have selected one of their larger boards, but this is the largest board they have that both Alaska Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines will let my check (They have a 10' 5" limit).  I didn't get any pics of the kit box, but it's just a long (10' plus) cardboard mashup box with sticks in it. The epoxy kit comes separately.  I also bought the "rocker table" that is CNC cut to precisely curve the board as you build it. I highly recommend buying a rocker table if you build one.        The kit comes with white cedar planks that you g...