Skip to main content

Custom Wood Kayak Toggles

The end toggles that I started in the previous post turned out... okay. Not perfect but they'll do.

Today I unclamped the laminated block and milled it by drilling a 3/4" forstner bit about a 1/2" down, and then drilling all the way through with a smaller bit. Then ran it through my table saw.


After working them on my stationary sander for a while, this is what I ended up with. They have had two soaks in teak oil so far and I'll put a few more coats on over the next few days to build up a nice layer. I didn't want to coat them in epoxy or varnish because wood this thick may still expand even though it's laminated. The oil should be fine for a season or so.


I also fine tuned the bulkheads after they had been fiberglassed and started to install them in the hull. I started by getting them lined up inside the hull just where I wanted them, and then running a Sharpie pen around the hull to mark where to sand. Then I removed the bulkheads and sanded the hull at the line. Also sanded the edges of the bulkheads since it has been a few days since the first side was laminated. I drilled two #60 holes through each of the small epoxy windows that I made in each bulkhead too. They will allow the air to equalize and not such the hatches down too much.

Then I inserted the bulkheads back in and tacked them in place with some small dabs of thickened epoxy here and there, being careful not to move the bulkheads. Tomorrow when it's cured I will be able to use more force and get a bead of thickened epoxy around the entire hull.



Peace!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rogue Manual

I've posted about this earlier, but thought it might be good to post it again for anyone who may be interested. I've started to write a manual of tips and tricks for Pygmy solo kayak builders. It covers the taping method, so that your boat doesn't have hundreds of holes all over it. I'm on version 2 now. Version 2 covers several other tips and tricks from myself and from others as collected over time. ATTENTION : Use the manual at your own risk! The only person responsible for any mistakes or problems with the building of your boat is you. Always use the official Pygmy manual that came with your kit. Only do those tips and tricks that make sense to you. If something in the manual doesn't sound right to you, then don't do it! Neither I, nor Pygmy Boats, nor anyone else except YOU is responsible for the safety of your boat and the quality of your build. It's in very rough draft form right now, but if you'd like to read it, please send a $10 donat...

The Pygmy Pinguino 145 Kayak is Completed!

Ta Da! I finally finished it. Haven't been able to blog much about it, but here's how it looks... It has four coats of varnish on both the hull and deck. It probably should have had six or more, but I'm tired. I made my own padeyes, and I opted to not install a perimeter line yet. My friend who I built this for is a very casual user and this is probably sufficient for her, but perimeter lines would be a nice safety feature though. That's it! Until next time, I'm signing out for now.... Cheers!

Grain Surfboards Waterlog Surfboard Build! Part 1

I'm making a surfboard!  No, I don't actually surf. At least not yet. But we go to Hawaii a lot and a guy has to have a board, right? I didn't kayak either until I built my first Pygmy Coho over 25 years ago. Now I love kayaking. Hopefully the same thing will happen with the surfboard.  The board is a kit from Grain Surfboards . I chose the Waterlog in the 10' version.  I'm super tall and heavy and probably should have selected one of their larger boards, but this is the largest board they have that both Alaska Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines will let my check (They have a 10' 5" limit).  I didn't get any pics of the kit box, but it's just a long (10' plus) cardboard mashup box with sticks in it. The epoxy kit comes separately.  I also bought the "rocker table" that is CNC cut to precisely curve the board as you build it. I highly recommend buying a rocker table if you build one.        The kit comes with white cedar planks that you g...