Skip to main content

Annapolis Wherry Seats and Thwarts Installed

This boat is for my wife, and she wanted the seats dyed. She picked a "Vintage Cherry" from General Finishes. They look great. I dyed them a couple weeks ago and have since added two coats of epoxy to all of them, sanding between coats. They're ready for varnishing. 

Today I installed them, but I'm doing it in a few steps instead of all in one shot as the manual says to do. I am first just tacking them down and using weights to keep them in place. Tomorrow I will sand those "spot welds" and then run nicer looking seams. The weights will be out of the way by then and it will be easier to make the seams without the seats moving. 

For the thwarts, I first sanded a line down the middle of the underside of the thwarts so that epoxy would stick well, and then also lightly sanded the top of the bulkhead too. A small bead of thickened epoxy was added to the top of the bulkhead and then the seats were set down on top. When cured, it will be much easier to then add the remaining fillets to the thwarts.  

PRO TIP: The manual doesn't mention this, but for the two thwarts, it is super important to have them in plane to each other so that the Piantedosi Drop-In Rowing Unit can sit evenly and distribute weight properly. I used a 4' level as a straight edge with bricks adding a bit of weight to keep the thwarts down on the bulkhead.

Here's the bow with the water jugs holding it in place while it cures.

The aft seat has a small fillet running all the way around it, but will get a more finished fillets once cured.


It's a bit hard to see in the picture below, but I didn't run the seams all the way yet for the forward seat. I used thickened epoxy at the top of the bulkhead, at the bow, and then in a couple of spots between the bow and bulkhead. This will firmly hold the seat in place and when cured will be much easier to run the full fillets.



Stay tuned!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rogue Manual

I've posted about this earlier, but thought it might be good to post it again for anyone who may be interested. I've started to write a manual of tips and tricks for Pygmy solo kayak builders. It covers the taping method, so that your boat doesn't have hundreds of holes all over it. I'm on version 2 now. Version 2 covers several other tips and tricks from myself and from others as collected over time. ATTENTION : Use the manual at your own risk! The only person responsible for any mistakes or problems with the building of your boat is you. Always use the official Pygmy manual that came with your kit. Only do those tips and tricks that make sense to you. If something in the manual doesn't sound right to you, then don't do it! Neither I, nor Pygmy Boats, nor anyone else except YOU is responsible for the safety of your boat and the quality of your build. It's in very rough draft form right now, but if you'd like to read it, please send a $10 donat

Pinguino End Pours and Other Jobs

I've spent the past day and today doing a number of jobs that just need to be done but aren't that noticeable. First, I added a saturation coat to the bare wood on the #4 panels above where I cut the fiberglass the other day. I also added a layer of epoxy over the area where heels may rest. Today I scraped the sides and heel area and added another coat of epoxy.Here's how it looks now. It's technically a third coat, but really only two as much of the first two have been either scraped or sanded. I may add a third layer once this is cured. I also worked on the end pours. The Pygmy manual says to do the end pours later on after the boat is complete. It says to take the boat outside and prop it up on a wall with the end in a bucket of ice water. Then you contort yourself and pour thickened epoxy down into the end and let it cure. Then you do the other end. THEN... you have to guess where you can drill holes through the ends for your painters (the lines that you t

Next Build: A Pinguino 145

Well here we go on another Pygmy solo kayak build. This time a Pinguino 145 . It's one of Pygmy's most popular boats. It's stable, light, capable of sea touring, and only 14.5'. Here's another nice article about the Pinguino . The picture below is from the Pygmy website   ( Pygmy Boats owns the copyright to this image and I make no claim to the image. It's here under fair use policy but will be happily removed if Pygmy requests it to be removed) . A friend of ours has wanted me to build one for her for some time and I finally think I can start to work on it. It should be a great boat for her. She's an active woman in her early 70's. The massive stability of the Pinguino, the larger cockpit, the relatively low weight, and being only 14.5' should work well for her. I'll blog about it here, but I'll also be adding some better pictures to the " Rogue Manual " on how to build one without wires. This boat will NOT have any w