Skip to main content

Pygmy Pinguino Hull Prepped for Fiberglassing

Well, it's at least almost prepped for fiberglassing... still have to run some tape along the #4 panels.

But today I reinforced the butt seam and added some thickened epoxy to the ends, all exactly according to the Pygmy manual.

The only thing I didn't do according to the manual is that I don't add a saturation coat to the inside. Wetting it out will fully saturate the cloth and it's an added step. To saturate or not to saturate is the eternal fiberglassing question asked by wooden boat people. There are two strong camps, each with their own reasons. I've just never found a convincing reason to do it as simply wetting it all out in one step has always worked well. 





Fiberglassing the inside of the hull is always the trickiest job of the entire project, so fingers crossed that it goes well!


Cheers!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rogue Manual

I've posted about this earlier, but thought it might be good to post it again for anyone who may be interested. I've started to write a manual of tips and tricks for Pygmy solo kayak builders. It covers the taping method, so that your boat doesn't have hundreds of holes all over it. I'm on version 2 now. Version 2 covers several other tips and tricks from myself and from others as collected over time. ATTENTION : Use the manual at your own risk! The only person responsible for any mistakes or problems with the building of your boat is you. Always use the official Pygmy manual that came with your kit. Only do those tips and tricks that make sense to you. If something in the manual doesn't sound right to you, then don't do it! Neither I, nor Pygmy Boats, nor anyone else except YOU is responsible for the safety of your boat and the quality of your build. It's in very rough draft form right now, but if you'd like to read it, please send a $10 donat...

The Pygmy Pinguino 145 Kayak is Completed!

Ta Da! I finally finished it. Haven't been able to blog much about it, but here's how it looks... It has four coats of varnish on both the hull and deck. It probably should have had six or more, but I'm tired. I made my own padeyes, and I opted to not install a perimeter line yet. My friend who I built this for is a very casual user and this is probably sufficient for her, but perimeter lines would be a nice safety feature though. That's it! Until next time, I'm signing out for now.... Cheers!

Waterlog Surfboard Build, Part 2

 Since my last post I've made a lot of progress.   I've completed the rails and the landing strips.  Here is the chine log being epoxied in. By the way, I'm using epoxy for much of this. I ended up using Titebond III for most of the rails because they didn't have a lot of force on them and I could get them clamped down quickly (Titebond III sets quickly). But for anything that has any stress on it, I'm using WEST System epoxy that I have left over.   The nose strips had to be steamed. Read the manual for how to do this. It works well enough.  For the landing strips (the 'lands'), I'm doing the "alternative" method that is shown in one of Grain's tutorial videos . I'm running the outside one out the ends. It worked out well and I'd definitely recommend you do it instead of the convoluted approach they say in their manual.  I would expect that at some point in the future that they make this the primary way to do it and change their m...