Skip to main content

Details before fiberglassing the inside of the Annapolis Wherry

 In my last post I had wired and glued the Annapolis Wherry hull together. The next day was spent, and I mean the entire boat-work day, removing the $&*#ing wires! Unlike boats that are glued on the edges of the panels (kayaks for example, and the Expedition Wherry), the Annapolis Wherry uses the Lapstitch process which embeds every wire in epoxy. They ALL were a challenge to remove. 

Luckily I had one trick up my sleeve that helped. You can heat the wires and they will soften the epoxy just around the wire and the wires can much more easily slip out. I use a soldering iron. 

If you have a wire that just will not come out, you can hold a hot soldering iron to it and let it heat up for 20-30 seconds. Be careful not to scorch the wood! You can then generally work the wire out. In the picture above you can see me holding the soldering iron to the end of a cut wire. It easily came out even though it was embedded in epoxy. 

This trick even works on the bow, stern, and bulkhead wires. The bow and stern wires came out easily, but the bulkhead wires are a real challenge. I eventually got all of them out as I prefer to remove them than bury them in an overly large fillet. 

Then it was on to filling the wire holes with round toothpicks. I mixed up one pump of epoxy into a small hobby cup and then dipped the ends of the toothpick into the epoxy and then shoved it into a hole. You then snap the toothpick one way and then all the way the other way and it should snap off leaving the hole plugged. 

Be sure to get ROUND toothpicks with points on both ends. 


 

Here is how the holes look the next day after sanding them flush. 

You'll still see the holes but they won't be obvious black dots all over. They're more hidden this way. It's a lot of extra work but one of those things that is worth it in the end. 

Then the next day I decided to fill the seams between panels #1 and #2 to prepare for fiberglassing the interior. 

The manual suggests to do this right before you fiberglass but that can lead to uneven seams and you squeegee out the epoxy into the seams and move the epoxy in the seams a bit. I prefer to do it a day or so before so that they are solid. The only downside is that you have to sand them, but that makes for an even better seam. 

I ran tape approximately 1/2" outside of the seam on plank #2, and then ran thickened epoxy down each seam. I used a craft stick to squeegee out the excess. 

By the way, I thickened the epoxy with one part wood flour for some color but they used the silica that comes with the kit to thicken it the rest of the way. It ended up being, I'm guessing, one part wood flour to five or six parts silica. The silica is only to tone down the dark brown of the wood flour. My seams will be much closer in color and less noticeable than if I only used wood flour. I've seem many boats that have only used wood flour and the seams are much darker than the rest of the wood. 

Here you can see the lighter color of the thickened epoxy. It's one part wood flour to five or more parts silica.



Finally, the next day, I sanded the seams completely flush to plank #1. The rest of the inside of the hull got a sanding too, followed by a thorough vacuuming out of the hull. 

Today I then taped the lower part of plank #3 and then spent the rest of my time cutting and fitting the fiberglass pieces. It's all ready to go for the next step tomorrow which is to fiberglass planks #1 and #2. 

In the picture below you can see the cut fiberglass pieces. 

 


Phew! That was a lot of work. Much of the work wasn't mentioned in the CLC manual. But that extra work will make for a beautiful boat. 


Stay tuned!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rogue Manual

I've posted about this earlier, but thought it might be good to post it again for anyone who may be interested. I've started to write a manual of tips and tricks for Pygmy solo kayak builders. It covers the taping method, so that your boat doesn't have hundreds of holes all over it. I'm on version 2 now. Version 2 covers several other tips and tricks from myself and from others as collected over time. ATTENTION : Use the manual at your own risk! The only person responsible for any mistakes or problems with the building of your boat is you. Always use the official Pygmy manual that came with your kit. Only do those tips and tricks that make sense to you. If something in the manual doesn't sound right to you, then don't do it! Neither I, nor Pygmy Boats, nor anyone else except YOU is responsible for the safety of your boat and the quality of your build. It's in very rough draft form right now, but if you'd like to read it, please send a $10 donat

Pinguino End Pours and Other Jobs

I've spent the past day and today doing a number of jobs that just need to be done but aren't that noticeable. First, I added a saturation coat to the bare wood on the #4 panels above where I cut the fiberglass the other day. I also added a layer of epoxy over the area where heels may rest. Today I scraped the sides and heel area and added another coat of epoxy.Here's how it looks now. It's technically a third coat, but really only two as much of the first two have been either scraped or sanded. I may add a third layer once this is cured. I also worked on the end pours. The Pygmy manual says to do the end pours later on after the boat is complete. It says to take the boat outside and prop it up on a wall with the end in a bucket of ice water. Then you contort yourself and pour thickened epoxy down into the end and let it cure. Then you do the other end. THEN... you have to guess where you can drill holes through the ends for your painters (the lines that you t

The "Rogue Manual" - A Supplementary Manual for Pygmy Kayak Builders!

I've mentioned a few times that I'm writing a supplementary manual for Pygmy kayak builders. It's currently up to 30 pages with lots more to go. About half of it is dedicated to the "strapping tape" method of building a boat and not using wires and holes. The rest is other techniques, tips and tricks that many builders have used over the years. If you want Pygmy kayak building tips and tricks then hopefully this will be the place to go. Here are the first few sample pages: The cover:  The Table of Contents and first few pages: Rogue Supplemental Manual Table of Contents Those are the first eight pages of the thirty page manual. I'm sure it will be larger by the time I'm finished. Let me know if you have ideas of what should be included, or what you think of the manual so far. Thanks! Aloha!