Skip to main content

Pinguino temporary frames set up for the "taping method"

Big steps today... I finished the Pinguino panels by beveling the edges of panels #4 & #5 where the hull/deck joint meets.

In the past I've used a router table to bevel the edges, but today I didn't have the energy to set it up so I used a new rasp I bought from Pygmy's East coast competitor Chesapeake Light Craft. It's called a "Shinto" and is made in Japan. It's made up of a number of saw blades and is pretty ingenious. You can find it on Amazon too.

After that I put the panels aside and set up the temporary frames using the spacers I cut on the table saw last week. Remember that when you use the "taping method" instead of sewing the hull together with wires, that you build the boat upside down over the temporary frames.


The official Pygmy manual that comes with your boat gives exact measurements for lines that you mark on the #1 panels (and #4 panels). You will need to also mark those same #1 lines on the table. Before marking them, make sure that you center the boat in your room and on your table such that you can walk around both ends as needed. 

To align the frames exactly you will need to cut spacers exactly the height that is specified by Pygmy in their "class manual". The class manual doesn't normally come with the kit and you have to ask Pygmy for the measurements of your specific boat's spacers. Below is a snapshot of the spacer dimensions, but please note that this is from several years ago and may have changed, plus several boat models have been added since.  (NOTE: When I made a Borealis a few years ago we discovered that the middle spacer would probably be better if it were 7.25" instead, but you should probably use the Pygmy measurements regardless...)

 
I was very careful to exactly mark the temporary frames just as specified in the "class manual". Then I carefully mounted them to the spacers, again just how the manual says. They were marked right down the center and then mounted to pieces of wood that were themselves screwed down to the table. 

In the picture below you can see that the frames were offset by 4mm so that the frames were actually directly over the lines that you mark on the table. 


When all done correctly, you should be able to sight down the three frames and see that the peaks of the frames (actually the keel... it's all upside down) line up. If they don't then go back and see where you might be off. Make any corrections you need to now because otherwise the boat will be twisted and warped! 



Phew! That's it for today, but the next step is a huge one... mounting the hull panels onto the frames using strapping tape and then epoxying the panels together. Yikes!



Cheers!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rogue Manual

I've posted about this earlier, but thought it might be good to post it again for anyone who may be interested. I've started to write a manual of tips and tricks for Pygmy solo kayak builders. It covers the taping method, so that your boat doesn't have hundreds of holes all over it. I'm on version 2 now. Version 2 covers several other tips and tricks from myself and from others as collected over time. ATTENTION : Use the manual at your own risk! The only person responsible for any mistakes or problems with the building of your boat is you. Always use the official Pygmy manual that came with your kit. Only do those tips and tricks that make sense to you. If something in the manual doesn't sound right to you, then don't do it! Neither I, nor Pygmy Boats, nor anyone else except YOU is responsible for the safety of your boat and the quality of your build. It's in very rough draft form right now, but if you'd like to read it, please send a $10 donat...

The Pygmy Pinguino 145 Kayak is Completed!

Ta Da! I finally finished it. Haven't been able to blog much about it, but here's how it looks... It has four coats of varnish on both the hull and deck. It probably should have had six or more, but I'm tired. I made my own padeyes, and I opted to not install a perimeter line yet. My friend who I built this for is a very casual user and this is probably sufficient for her, but perimeter lines would be a nice safety feature though. That's it! Until next time, I'm signing out for now.... Cheers!

Fin Box Installed, Board Sanded, and Bottom Gloss Coat - Part 7

The Grain Surfboards Waterlog surfboard has now had the fin box installed, the entire board has been sanded, and the bottom has received its gloss coat. Lots of progress since my last post.  I bought a Fins Unlimited Performance fin. No idea if that was a good idea or not, but it looks cool.     In my last post I had installed the vent plug and the leash cup. Since then I routed out the trench for the fin box and installed it. It went easier than I expected but I was nervous routing the trench.  Before installing the blocking for the fin box a few weeks ago, I drilled two marker holes for where the fin box would go so that I could easily see where to install it when I finally got to this point. I felt better about doing this than using measurements from the tail that might change somewhat during shaping. See the pictures below and you can make out the two holes fore and aft of the box layout.   I taped off the area and then carefully measured out fro...