Skip to main content

Pinguino Hull Panels Taped onto Frames. The "Taping Method"!

The #4 panels were taped onto the temporary frames today, and I spent some time starting to get the panels all aligned.

Remember... if you are following the Pygmy manual, you will not be doing this. Instead you will be building your kayak right-side-up and sewing it together with dozens of wires through dozens of holes that you drill through your panels. That is the old "stitch and glue" method.

Instead, I am using strapping tape and Gorilla Tape to hold the panels onto the frames. Also remember that to build your boat this way that you need to have accurately cut "spacers" that you carefully mount onto your temporary frames. See my earlier posts. This hull will NOT have hundreds of holes! It's a muuuuuch cleaner look. It's also, in my opinion, much easier. I'm truly stumped as to why Pygmy hasn't switched over to this method years ago.

ATTENTION: The taping method is NOT in the Pygmy manuals! IF you do the taping method you are on your own. However, Pygmy has ever-so-slowly started to come around to the method themselves and it is generally how they build the boats in their hand-on classes (although they still wire the stem and stern).

Here's how it looks this evening:


For the most part I use strapping tape. It's hard to tell in these photos, but in some areas I wrap the tape all the way around either the hull or the hull & table.

I'm also not in a hurry. I started the taping yesterday, got 90% finished today, but probably won't get to epoxying the seams until this weekend (today is Thursday). Yes, a few pins might pop out by then, but most of the tape and pins will stay in place. It's more important that you get it ALL lined up just right and check that the hull isn't warped or twisted. So I'll return to it tomorrow or this weekend and tweak it to my heart's content and only then will I epoxy the seams.

In the photo below you can get another look. If you look closely you might see that the seam between the #3 and #4 panels in the middle isn't meeting up too well. I'll do my best to get it to line up better but right now I can't get it to budge. In the end it's not that big of a deal and you won't notice it too much, especially after it's filled with thickened epoxy. But I'll try to improve it anyway...



Below... Here's a shot of the stern. It's obviously not ready for epoxy yet and I'll do more work to get it to close up and be straight. The gap between the panels in the stern is common and I don't have an explanation for why they don't meet up well. I'll tape the hell out of it and they'll come closer together but probably won't entirely meet flush. But again, thickened epoxy makes it not so noticeable.

Those small clamps are working out very well so far! I got them at Home Depot. They're $.49 each. The ends are coated in a rubber dip but you can easily rip it off. The bare metal grips the wood better. They might leave an impression but shouldn't be too much. 



"What's with the push pins?" you might ask! Good question. The push pins are VERY useful. You use them to hold one panel even with the one next to it.

It's hard to tell in the pictures... they look like they're just stuck in the seam. But what they are really doing is holding one panel out and the other panel in. When you get to this stage you'll quickly see the usefulness of them. Use them wherever you need. By the way... epoxy doesn't stick to them so they pull out easily.

The only problem is that Pygmy supplies just a few of them, but you really need dozens! I buy an extra 30 of them, and add them to the other 20 or so I already have from previous builds. BUY EXTRA PINS... AT LEAST 20 EXTRA. They're cheap and their usefulness far exceeds the $.15 they cost each.



Here is my first look from outside the garage at the bow. Right now it looks pretty straight but I'll really give it a good look before I epoxy.



More when I epoxy the seams!



Cheers! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rogue Manual

I've posted about this earlier, but thought it might be good to post it again for anyone who may be interested. I've started to write a manual of tips and tricks for Pygmy solo kayak builders. It covers the taping method, so that your boat doesn't have hundreds of holes all over it. I'm on version 2 now. Version 2 covers several other tips and tricks from myself and from others as collected over time. ATTENTION : Use the manual at your own risk! The only person responsible for any mistakes or problems with the building of your boat is you. Always use the official Pygmy manual that came with your kit. Only do those tips and tricks that make sense to you. If something in the manual doesn't sound right to you, then don't do it! Neither I, nor Pygmy Boats, nor anyone else except YOU is responsible for the safety of your boat and the quality of your build. It's in very rough draft form right now, but if you'd like to read it, please send a $10 donat

Pinguino End Pours and Other Jobs

I've spent the past day and today doing a number of jobs that just need to be done but aren't that noticeable. First, I added a saturation coat to the bare wood on the #4 panels above where I cut the fiberglass the other day. I also added a layer of epoxy over the area where heels may rest. Today I scraped the sides and heel area and added another coat of epoxy.Here's how it looks now. It's technically a third coat, but really only two as much of the first two have been either scraped or sanded. I may add a third layer once this is cured. I also worked on the end pours. The Pygmy manual says to do the end pours later on after the boat is complete. It says to take the boat outside and prop it up on a wall with the end in a bucket of ice water. Then you contort yourself and pour thickened epoxy down into the end and let it cure. Then you do the other end. THEN... you have to guess where you can drill holes through the ends for your painters (the lines that you t

The "Rogue Manual" - A Supplementary Manual for Pygmy Kayak Builders!

I've mentioned a few times that I'm writing a supplementary manual for Pygmy kayak builders. It's currently up to 30 pages with lots more to go. About half of it is dedicated to the "strapping tape" method of building a boat and not using wires and holes. The rest is other techniques, tips and tricks that many builders have used over the years. If you want Pygmy kayak building tips and tricks then hopefully this will be the place to go. Here are the first few sample pages: The cover:  The Table of Contents and first few pages: Rogue Supplemental Manual Table of Contents Those are the first eight pages of the thirty page manual. I'm sure it will be larger by the time I'm finished. Let me know if you have ideas of what should be included, or what you think of the manual so far. Thanks! Aloha!