Skip to main content

Underside of deck completed

Did the final steps today on the underside of the deck.

  • Scraped and sanded the tape I added yesterday. 
  • Added two layers of glass to the aft area of the cockpit to reinforce the recessed deck plate.
  • Then rolled on a saturation coat for the entire underside of the deck.

In the picture below you can see the underside of the stern and where the three runs of fiberglass tape end.


This is after I scraped and sanded the underside tapes.


Here is the bow end and the other end of the three runs of tape.



This is the recessed deck plate from the under side. You can see that I beveled it quite a bit. But it worked!

 


This is after the thickened epoxy and the three layers of tape on the gaps between the reinforcement plates, as per the Pygmy manual, and after the saturation coat. The dark brown areas are the thickened epoxy "ramps" that the manual has you make so that the tape sits better. I didn't make them very well and the tapes on the chines could be better. Oh well...




Here you can see the two layers of fiberglass added to the back, underside of the cockpit to reinforce the recessed deck plate. It's molded in forever now!




Next step is to put the deck aside and return to the hull. I'll knock out the temporary frames, work on filling the ends (more on that later as the Pygmy manual says to do this step later, but I do it now), and then fiberglass the inside of the hull. It's getting there!


Aloha!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rogue Manual

I've posted about this earlier, but thought it might be good to post it again for anyone who may be interested. I've started to write a manual of tips and tricks for Pygmy solo kayak builders. It covers the taping method, so that your boat doesn't have hundreds of holes all over it. I'm on version 2 now. Version 2 covers several other tips and tricks from myself and from others as collected over time. ATTENTION : Use the manual at your own risk! The only person responsible for any mistakes or problems with the building of your boat is you. Always use the official Pygmy manual that came with your kit. Only do those tips and tricks that make sense to you. If something in the manual doesn't sound right to you, then don't do it! Neither I, nor Pygmy Boats, nor anyone else except YOU is responsible for the safety of your boat and the quality of your build. It's in very rough draft form right now, but if you'd like to read it, please send a $10 donat...

The Pygmy Pinguino 145 Kayak is Completed!

Ta Da! I finally finished it. Haven't been able to blog much about it, but here's how it looks... It has four coats of varnish on both the hull and deck. It probably should have had six or more, but I'm tired. I made my own padeyes, and I opted to not install a perimeter line yet. My friend who I built this for is a very casual user and this is probably sufficient for her, but perimeter lines would be a nice safety feature though. That's it! Until next time, I'm signing out for now.... Cheers!

Fin Box Installed, Board Sanded, and Bottom Gloss Coat - Part 7

The Grain Surfboards Waterlog surfboard has now had the fin box installed, the entire board has been sanded, and the bottom has received its gloss coat. Lots of progress since my last post.  I bought a Fins Unlimited Performance fin. No idea if that was a good idea or not, but it looks cool.     In my last post I had installed the vent plug and the leash cup. Since then I routed out the trench for the fin box and installed it. It went easier than I expected but I was nervous routing the trench.  Before installing the blocking for the fin box a few weeks ago, I drilled two marker holes for where the fin box would go so that I could easily see where to install it when I finally got to this point. I felt better about doing this than using measurements from the tail that might change somewhat during shaping. See the pictures below and you can make out the two holes fore and aft of the box layout.   I taped off the area and then carefully measured out fro...