Skip to main content

Foot Brace Studs installed on Pygmy Borealis XL

Over the last two nights I have installed the port and starboard foot brace studs. These are threaded studs welded onto a flat, round plate with holes in them. You position them according to the instructions and then bed them into thickened epoxy. On top of the thickened epoxy you wet out a 4" x4" layer of fiberglass. When dry the studs are solidly fixed to the sides.

On my last kayak I can tell you that I put A LOT of pressure at times on those foot peddles and they never came loose. The studs are a nice alternative to drilling holes through the sides of your boat to mount the foot braces.

Because I'm so tall I moved the position of the foot brace studs 1" forward. It's not much, but I'm also planning on putting my seat back as far as possible. So hopefully by moving the foot pegs forward and the seat aft I will have plenty of room!

This is the stud bedded into thickened epoxy but before the 4" x4" tape went on top. If you look closely you can still see the lines that you draw to help you center the studs in the correct position.


The kit supplies a 16" x 4" strip of fiberglass that you cut into four squares. Cut a tiny hole in the middle so that they can slip over the studs.


You'll want to put some plastic strapping tape underneath the foot rails while the epoxy dries. Alternatively you could wrap them in plastic wrap. They won't stick to the epoxy that way.


I simply wrapped strapping tape around the entire hull twice to prop the boat up on its side. There are two foam car carriers underneath.

This morning the foot rail came right off and I easily trimmed the fiberglass that hung over the top. Tonight I did the starboard side. 


Almost ready to glue the deck on! Just need to saturate the insides of the #4 panel above the fiberglass and then I'll stick the deck on the next day or so.


Peace!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rogue Manual

I've posted about this earlier, but thought it might be good to post it again for anyone who may be interested. I've started to write a manual of tips and tricks for Pygmy solo kayak builders. It covers the taping method, so that your boat doesn't have hundreds of holes all over it. I'm on version 2 now. Version 2 covers several other tips and tricks from myself and from others as collected over time. ATTENTION : Use the manual at your own risk! The only person responsible for any mistakes or problems with the building of your boat is you. Always use the official Pygmy manual that came with your kit. Only do those tips and tricks that make sense to you. If something in the manual doesn't sound right to you, then don't do it! Neither I, nor Pygmy Boats, nor anyone else except YOU is responsible for the safety of your boat and the quality of your build. It's in very rough draft form right now, but if you'd like to read it, please send a $10 donat...

The Pygmy Pinguino 145 Kayak is Completed!

Ta Da! I finally finished it. Haven't been able to blog much about it, but here's how it looks... It has four coats of varnish on both the hull and deck. It probably should have had six or more, but I'm tired. I made my own padeyes, and I opted to not install a perimeter line yet. My friend who I built this for is a very casual user and this is probably sufficient for her, but perimeter lines would be a nice safety feature though. That's it! Until next time, I'm signing out for now.... Cheers!

Fin Box Installed, Board Sanded, and Bottom Gloss Coat - Part 7

The Grain Surfboards Waterlog surfboard has now had the fin box installed, the entire board has been sanded, and the bottom has received its gloss coat. Lots of progress since my last post.  I bought a Fins Unlimited Performance fin. No idea if that was a good idea or not, but it looks cool.     In my last post I had installed the vent plug and the leash cup. Since then I routed out the trench for the fin box and installed it. It went easier than I expected but I was nervous routing the trench.  Before installing the blocking for the fin box a few weeks ago, I drilled two marker holes for where the fin box would go so that I could easily see where to install it when I finally got to this point. I felt better about doing this than using measurements from the tail that might change somewhat during shaping. See the pictures below and you can make out the two holes fore and aft of the box layout.   I taped off the area and then carefully measured out fro...