Skip to main content

Soft pad eyes for Pygmy kayaks

I've just about finished refinishing my Pygmy Coho Hi that I built in 2009.

Today I made new soft pad eyes for the shock cord that also acts as a perimeter line.

The shock cord kit and perimeter line kit that Pygmy sells includes hard plastic strap eyes that are not very professional looking in my opinion. They are also very hard and ouchy if you have to crawl back on board.  

ALTERNATIVE STEP FROM THE OFFICIAL PYGMY MANUAL: Instead, many people are making their own shock cord systems and using soft webbing for their pad eyes.

1. Purchase a couple yards of 1" nylon webbing (NOT cloth!).

2. Cut as many pieces as you need. Use scissors and cut them into 4.5" pieces. 4.5" makes a pad eye large enough for two lines of shock cord to easily pass through. Any smaller and it will become impossible to pass two lines through. You'll often need to get two lines through the same pad eye. See the pictures of the new shock cords below and you'll see that most have two lines going through them.



3. Melt the ends so they don't fray. I have an old wood burner tool, but you can use whatever you can jimmy up to melt the ends. Matches or a lighter work fine.



4. Fold the piece: Take one end and it fold over about 3/4" - 7/8". Then fold the other end down to meet the crease. The picture shows the loose end on the bottom but there's no reason that you couldn't tuck the loose end inside. It would make it even cleaner and give it a nice look. I'll do that on my next boat.


 5. Melt a hole through the triple-layer end. Again, I use a wood burner. But you might use a match or perhaps put a propane torch on a nail held by pliers... I don't know, just melt a hole the size of your bolts through the webbing. If you just drill the bolt through the webbing it may end up fraying.

6. Bolt it through the hull. Bolt down each piece where you've drilled your holes. Put the folded side up. See picture below. Cutting the straps at 4.5" will leave a large enough opening for two lengths of shock cord to pass through. If you make it much smaller then it will be impossible to get two cords through.

Pygmy kayak soft pad eyes made from webbing


Here is how I rig my hand toggles so that they are retractable, and how I rig my deck shock cord pattern. As you can see I like the red shock cord. Bought mine on Amazon but you can find all sorts of shock cord and webbing at Seattle Fabrics. GREAT store! I use shock cord for the entire perimeter. I also use it to make the handles retractable. See pictures. You just have to find a stainless steel ring to feed your hand toggles through.

Pygmy Coho Hi Kayak hand toggles retractable


Connecting the shock cord perimeter line to the hand toggles means that your toggles will never droop over the sides or drag behind. They become retractable! On my next boat I will make custom hand toggles instead of using the plastic ones.

Pygmy Coho Hi Kayak hand toggles retractable



In the picture below you can see a compass. It's a Brunton 58 Marine Kayak Compass and it comes with bungee cords and hooks. I'm keeping this compass when I sell the boat so I can use it on my next one which is why I've left the black shock cords in place. When I use it permanently on my new boat I will remove the bottom plate on the compass, take out the included bungees and simply route my deck shock cord through and then install the bottom back on. It works well.

Pygmy kayak soft pad eyes made from webbing


You can see how the compass is installed permanently in the picture below. This is from our paddle this summer to Portland Island in the Canadian Gulf Islands. You can also see why I needed to refinish the boat! Look at those faded and rotting out shock cords. The new ones look so much better! If you look carefully you'll also see that that Brunton 58 compass has yellowed. They last about 5 years and then the plastic starts to yellow and turn opaque. The one above is a brand new one. I'm sure others would last longer but I like the size of this one and the fact that you don't have to build it into the deck. It's just the right size and not too big or too small to read.



Pygmy only has one set of shock cords in their kit. The advantages of making your own is that you can choose any color of cord that you like, plus you can take advantage of more deck space.

Pygmy kayak shock cord perimeter lines




The stern has the same type of setup:

Pygmy Coho Hi Kayak hand toggles retractable

Pygmy Coho Hi Kayak refinished

Good luck on your deck hardware!


Happy paddling!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rogue Manual

I've posted about this earlier, but thought it might be good to post it again for anyone who may be interested. I've started to write a manual of tips and tricks for Pygmy solo kayak builders. It covers the taping method, so that your boat doesn't have hundreds of holes all over it. I'm on version 2 now. Version 2 covers several other tips and tricks from myself and from others as collected over time. ATTENTION : Use the manual at your own risk! The only person responsible for any mistakes or problems with the building of your boat is you. Always use the official Pygmy manual that came with your kit. Only do those tips and tricks that make sense to you. If something in the manual doesn't sound right to you, then don't do it! Neither I, nor Pygmy Boats, nor anyone else except YOU is responsible for the safety of your boat and the quality of your build. It's in very rough draft form right now, but if you'd like to read it, please send a $10 donat

Pinguino End Pours and Other Jobs

I've spent the past day and today doing a number of jobs that just need to be done but aren't that noticeable. First, I added a saturation coat to the bare wood on the #4 panels above where I cut the fiberglass the other day. I also added a layer of epoxy over the area where heels may rest. Today I scraped the sides and heel area and added another coat of epoxy.Here's how it looks now. It's technically a third coat, but really only two as much of the first two have been either scraped or sanded. I may add a third layer once this is cured. I also worked on the end pours. The Pygmy manual says to do the end pours later on after the boat is complete. It says to take the boat outside and prop it up on a wall with the end in a bucket of ice water. Then you contort yourself and pour thickened epoxy down into the end and let it cure. Then you do the other end. THEN... you have to guess where you can drill holes through the ends for your painters (the lines that you t

The "Rogue Manual" - A Supplementary Manual for Pygmy Kayak Builders!

I've mentioned a few times that I'm writing a supplementary manual for Pygmy kayak builders. It's currently up to 30 pages with lots more to go. About half of it is dedicated to the "strapping tape" method of building a boat and not using wires and holes. The rest is other techniques, tips and tricks that many builders have used over the years. If you want Pygmy kayak building tips and tricks then hopefully this will be the place to go. Here are the first few sample pages: The cover:  The Table of Contents and first few pages: Rogue Supplemental Manual Table of Contents Those are the first eight pages of the thirty page manual. I'm sure it will be larger by the time I'm finished. Let me know if you have ideas of what should be included, or what you think of the manual so far. Thanks! Aloha!