Skip to main content

A work table for the Pygmy Kayak Build

I begun my build of the Pygmy Borealis XL with the construction of a temporary work table. It's plenty strong for my needs and is, most importantly, flat.

It does NOT have to be super strong but does need to be as flat as you can make it. Make sure it’s flat (and not warped, cupped, wavy or twisted) along the entire table. It’s not a big deal if it’s not perfectly “level” along the entire run but for ease and for professionalism make it as level as you can. It’s much more important that it’s FLAT.

This one is made from one sheet of 4’ x 8’ x ¾” MDF ripped into two sheets of 2’ x 8’ butted together to form a 16' long work surface. The panels are set on two 2” x6” x 16’ framing studs that have been selected for flatness along the edges. The table is 16’ long which is shorter than the kayak but is more than you need. If space is tight you could probably cut the table down to 14’ or even less. Pygmy even says that an 8’ board is enough.

You can see in the picture below that I also snapped a chalk line down the middle to be used later on. Mark one end "Bow" and the other "Stern". You'll be adding more lines later. 



If yours is to be a temporary table, then consider tucking the 2” x 6” boards inside the edges of the top panels for two reasons: A) it distributes the weight of the panels more evenly and prevents sagging (although I doubt that it would sag in the time it takes to complete the boat) and, B) so I can use clamps on the edges to hold down panels and the temporary frames. If you’re building a permanent work bench/table then build it better.


The original Pygmy manual suggests, gulp, nailing down your pieces while you glue the seams. Yikes! If you'll be taping your boat together as opposed to "stitching & glueing" then you won't want any holes in your boat. Clamping down the pieces or at least weighing them down is sufficient. 



By the way, I'm making this kayak in a single car garage that's also filled with a table saw, shelves of tools, and a lot of lumber and sheet goods (no car though). You don't need tooooo much room to build one of these.

Aloha!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rogue Manual

I've posted about this earlier, but thought it might be good to post it again for anyone who may be interested. I've started to write a manual of tips and tricks for Pygmy solo kayak builders. It covers the taping method, so that your boat doesn't have hundreds of holes all over it. I'm on version 2 now. Version 2 covers several other tips and tricks from myself and from others as collected over time. ATTENTION : Use the manual at your own risk! The only person responsible for any mistakes or problems with the building of your boat is you. Always use the official Pygmy manual that came with your kit. Only do those tips and tricks that make sense to you. If something in the manual doesn't sound right to you, then don't do it! Neither I, nor Pygmy Boats, nor anyone else except YOU is responsible for the safety of your boat and the quality of your build. It's in very rough draft form right now, but if you'd like to read it, please send a $10 donat...

The Pygmy Pinguino 145 Kayak is Completed!

Ta Da! I finally finished it. Haven't been able to blog much about it, but here's how it looks... It has four coats of varnish on both the hull and deck. It probably should have had six or more, but I'm tired. I made my own padeyes, and I opted to not install a perimeter line yet. My friend who I built this for is a very casual user and this is probably sufficient for her, but perimeter lines would be a nice safety feature though. That's it! Until next time, I'm signing out for now.... Cheers!

Fin Box Installed, Board Sanded, and Bottom Gloss Coat - Part 7

The Grain Surfboards Waterlog surfboard has now had the fin box installed, the entire board has been sanded, and the bottom has received its gloss coat. Lots of progress since my last post.  I bought a Fins Unlimited Performance fin. No idea if that was a good idea or not, but it looks cool.     In my last post I had installed the vent plug and the leash cup. Since then I routed out the trench for the fin box and installed it. It went easier than I expected but I was nervous routing the trench.  Before installing the blocking for the fin box a few weeks ago, I drilled two marker holes for where the fin box would go so that I could easily see where to install it when I finally got to this point. I felt better about doing this than using measurements from the tail that might change somewhat during shaping. See the pictures below and you can make out the two holes fore and aft of the box layout.   I taped off the area and then carefully measured out fro...