Skip to main content

Order of work for the first three steps listed in the Pygmy manual

One of the first steps in the Pygmy Borealis manual is to "align and glue" the panels together.

The boat is made up of 6 panels on each side, 12 panels total. Most of the panels are made up of three pieces of plywood cut out by their computer controlled cutting machine. To make the panels you must carefully line up the component pieces of each panel and glue them together using epoxy and fiberglass tape.

The manual also suggests the you make one side of the boat and then the other side.

Here are my changes to this step:

A. ALTERNATIVE STEP FROM THE OFFICIAL PYGMY MANUAL: I only epoxy and fiberglass the INSIDE of each panel. The manual has you do both sides. The problem with that is that you almost never can make that fiberglass tape go completely invisible. When you build the hull you will line up all of the seams. This essentially creates a ring of fiberglass tape that goes around the entire hull at both the main seam and the stern seam. It becomes pretty obvious. IF you are CAREFUL you can get away with only doing the inside seams of the panels instead. If you aren't careful the panels may crack. I'll let you know how it goes!

B. ALTERNATIVE STEP FROM THE OFFICIAL PYGMY MANUAL: I change the order of work by doing the #6 panels first and then working down through the panels to the #1 panels. After completing each panel you then put them aside and carefully stack them. Because you will build the hull starting with the #1 and #2 panels you will want them at the top of your stack. Again, because I'm only taping the insides of each panel I need to be extremely careful when I move the panels. This enables me to move them much less.

-------------------------------

My specific order of work combines the first three steps: (Align and glue the panels, Reinforce the deck panels, and Bevel the Sheer Edges)

ALTERNATIVE STEP FROM THE OFFICIAL PYGMY MANUAL: Here's the changes I made from what the manual suggests:

1. I glued the #6 panels and #5 panels and put them aside

2. I then glued the #4 panels and put them aside but in a different place (this will make sense in a bit)

3. Then I stopped building panels and instead used my router table to do the "Bevel the Sheer Edges" step. You bevel the edges of panels #4 and #5 where they will meet later. I did this now before reinforcing the #5 panels because I was using the router table and the reinforcement piece would not work as it went through the router table. I then put the #4 panel aside again.

4. Then I did the "Reinforce the deck panels" step because I already had panels #5 and #6 within easy access.

5. I re-stacked the panels in reverse order; #6's, #5's, #4's onto my side storage area making sure that the middle seams (especially for #4's through #1's) were well supported.

6. Then I made the rest of the panels in reverse order: #3 through #1 and put them aside by carefully stacking them on top of the other panels. Now all my panels are built and ready to be used in the order that you need them.

At this point my work table is cleared off and I'm ready to install the temporary frames for my next step - The "Taping Method" of building the hull instead of the "stitch and glue" method!

More later.


Aloha! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rogue Manual

I've posted about this earlier, but thought it might be good to post it again for anyone who may be interested. I've started to write a manual of tips and tricks for Pygmy solo kayak builders. It covers the taping method, so that your boat doesn't have hundreds of holes all over it. I'm on version 2 now. Version 2 covers several other tips and tricks from myself and from others as collected over time. ATTENTION : Use the manual at your own risk! The only person responsible for any mistakes or problems with the building of your boat is you. Always use the official Pygmy manual that came with your kit. Only do those tips and tricks that make sense to you. If something in the manual doesn't sound right to you, then don't do it! Neither I, nor Pygmy Boats, nor anyone else except YOU is responsible for the safety of your boat and the quality of your build. It's in very rough draft form right now, but if you'd like to read it, please send a $10 donat...

The Pygmy Pinguino 145 Kayak is Completed!

Ta Da! I finally finished it. Haven't been able to blog much about it, but here's how it looks... It has four coats of varnish on both the hull and deck. It probably should have had six or more, but I'm tired. I made my own padeyes, and I opted to not install a perimeter line yet. My friend who I built this for is a very casual user and this is probably sufficient for her, but perimeter lines would be a nice safety feature though. That's it! Until next time, I'm signing out for now.... Cheers!

Fin Box Installed, Board Sanded, and Bottom Gloss Coat - Part 7

The Grain Surfboards Waterlog surfboard has now had the fin box installed, the entire board has been sanded, and the bottom has received its gloss coat. Lots of progress since my last post.  I bought a Fins Unlimited Performance fin. No idea if that was a good idea or not, but it looks cool.     In my last post I had installed the vent plug and the leash cup. Since then I routed out the trench for the fin box and installed it. It went easier than I expected but I was nervous routing the trench.  Before installing the blocking for the fin box a few weeks ago, I drilled two marker holes for where the fin box would go so that I could easily see where to install it when I finally got to this point. I felt better about doing this than using measurements from the tail that might change somewhat during shaping. See the pictures below and you can make out the two holes fore and aft of the box layout.   I taped off the area and then carefully measured out fro...